Select Page

town planner

A town planner is a specialist professional who guides the way our urban areas grow. They balance demand for land with legal requirements to protect the environment and heritage, ensuring that new developments meet the needs of local communities. They also work closely with engineers and architects to develop efficient infrastructure that integrates seamlessly into the natural environment.

In the United Kingdom, you need specialist qualifications accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) to become a town planner. If you do not have these qualifications, you can study for a postgraduate course in town planning, or work towards them while completing an equivalent job role.

The main responsibilities of a town planner include reviewing development proposals, assessing environmental impact, and planning for future infrastructure. They must be familiar with zoning regulations and the limits on land use, as well as identifying the potential for sustainable design that can meet both commercial and environmental goals.

They must also work closely with other professionals such as architects, engineers and landscapers to ensure that development proposals can be integrated with existing infrastructure, and that new projects will not have a detrimental effect on the environment. Town planners also assess the feasibility of a project before it is submitted to council, and help guide clients and developers through the process.

During the planning permit application stage, a town planning consultant will act as a liaison between their client and local government, ensuring all relevant information is relayed in a clear and concise manner. In the event that a Council planner requests further information from a planning permit applicant, the consulting firm will compile all the required items into a single document and prepare a response, addressing any concerns raised by the Council.

If your application is refused, or you have objected to the decision, a town planning consultant can assist you in appealing to the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). They will be able to provide an objective and independent review of the VCAT’s decision, ensuring that all relevant information has been considered and that any objections have been addressed.

The salary of a town planner can vary depending on the size of their employer and industry sector. Senior planners and directors earn considerably more than junior staff. Salaries also increase with experience. Public sector employment typically includes generous leave entitlement and pension schemes, while private firms may offer performance-related pay, home-based working, and flexible working arrangements.

To pursue a career as a town planner, you can apply for positions advertised on local councils’ websites and in national recruitment magazines. You can also find jobs through private consultants or full-service property firms that offer planning services. You should always make sure that the consultancy you choose is registered with RTPI or an affiliated body. The RTPI’s website lists accredited employers.